Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mustard

A lot has changed since we drove away from our little house on 2812 E. 18th St. I'm horrible with this blog business when we've actually got a lot going on, so here's another ketchup blog.


I had my last day at Pleasant View and said goodbye to my crazy class of 5th graders. By the end of the year, I'm usually ready to send them on to summer vacation, but despite their usual nutso behavior, I was feeling a little extra sentimental that day.

We had our final faculty get together, and I had to say goodbye to the wonderful staff of teachers I've worked with the past 3 years. I learned so much in my years teaching in Pleasant Valley and I know I will always remember those years fondly. I will miss my guhls SO MUCH.


Kaylen hosted a little goodbye get-together in which we drank some kool-aid, swapped stories, and did a lot of laughing. This picture is just one sampling of the evening...

The next morning, I drove away from the Quad Cities (single tear), and arrived in Cedar Falls.

Dottie was waiting at the front door for my arrival. Our 1/4 of a year's worth of long distance was over. For me, it was time to get the house settled and find a job. For Jay, he had to deal with the overwhelming joy that came with seeing his wife everyday. (As you can see below, he dealt with that joy by playing Punch-Out.)

Here are a few shots of the new digs:
View from the front door

Our little dining room area


The master bedroom is currently a work in progress. As you can see, it's lacking in the furniture area. We did decide after one night in the house that we needed to upgrade to a King sized bed, though. : )
Classic toilet shot (Master bath)

If you ever come to visit us, this is more than likely where you'll stay. Visitors are always welcome! This is the 3rd bedroom and what we currently use as an office


Another classic toilet shot - (hallway bath)

Our laundry room - not at all an exciting picture - but I got a new washer and dryer (the buyer of our old house wanted my old mismatched set) and I LOVE these things. They are dummy proof, use very little water, and kind of make laundry a little bit of fun. By "fun" I mean that I've done laundry more in this house so far than I think I did in 2 years at the old place.


I hit the job hunt hard once I arrived in Cedar Falls. I'll spare you the unnecessarily stressful moments and big time praying that came with this process, and get to the end result. I found a job as a 3rd grade teacher at Southdale Elementary (dubbed by Jay "the Genius Factory"). I am so excited to be a part of the Cedar Falls schools, and I think 3rd grade will be a fun change! Follow this link for proof: "I don't believe Kelsey's a teacher, so I'll click here..."


Just one day before our 1st anniversary, the best gift ever arrived. SOD!! First off, sod is just downright cool. Have you ever seen the stuff installed? At 8:00 AM our yard was dirt, by 3PM, GREEN! For any of you who have dogs and have ever experienced a yard with nothing but mud, you'd understand my excitement. This last week I've become a slave to the sprinklers, but I'm loving every minute of it.


Speaking of our anniversary, Jay and I celebrated one year of wedded bliss with an impromptu get-together with our families. We grilled out, drank celebratory beverages, played lawn games, and watched fireworks from our driveway. I've often heard the first year of marriage is the hardest. In our case, I doubt that's true. I think we both would describe our first year of marriage as eventful, but crazy wonderful. Jay has now made it over a year without throwing his wedding ring in the garbage again. : )

Miss Rachael Sue, one of my best buds, will be getting married this weekend, and I've been anxiously awaiting her wedding all summer! We celebrated her bachelorette party in Clear Lake about a month ago, and just the right amount of fun! I cannot describe how much this girl has meant to me over the years, and am going to try to seriously not be a blabbering fool at her wedding.



Last, but not least, an update on Dottie. Didn't think I'd get through a whole blog and mention her so little - did you? Since arriving in Cedar Falls, Dottie has enjoyed exploring her new house and neighborhood, getting her feet incredibly muddy, and spending time with her new BFF Maggie.
Ok peeps, hope you've enjoyed the lengthy update on our lives. I vow to continue to stay on top of blogs....until I get busy again.

1 comment:

Ashley Schrage said...

Nice post! I bet that took a good hour to put together! :)

Although, it left me a bit eager to see the half pyramid from the bachelorette party... :) maybe next time!