Sunday, September 28, 2008

2 Dozen 10 year olds

A couple of weeks ago, my class participated in a school-wide walk-a-thon fundraiser. Each grade level was represented by a color (ours was yellow) and to promote sun safety, everyone wore hats. The kids walked for a half an hour and afterward I got a few goofy class shots.



As you can see, these kids were not enjoying themselves, at all.


Are they thinking about passing their basic math facts? No. Upcoming ITBS testing? No. They are just having fun and being silly.

Some of my favorite moments as a teacher come when I get opportunities to take a small step or two outside of the classroom and appreciate my students in their true form.

I hope I never lose sight of the simple fact that the moment we stop having fun together is the moment I stop reaching them as learners.

I also hope I never get too old to find joy in traipsing around a track on a sunny day wearing a yellow t-shirt and a funny hat with a group of 10 year-olds.


PS - This blog is dedicated to Vicelroy Fizzlebottom, who wholeheartedly believes I have more interesting things to write about than my husband! :)

3 comments:

ECHOMAMA said...

You sound like a wonderful teacher. As a mother of an ADHD kid, I can tell you that teachers like you are the only ones who get kids interested in learning.

Viceroy Fizzlebottom said...

Nice work, Ms. Bitz. I still remember days like that from elementary, and so will those kids in that picture.

LindaAlex said...

Kelsey, it's so fun to read your blog and learn about your teaching and a bit of your life. I caught up with you from a comment on Ashley's blog and wanted to let you know that I am peaking. Congratulations on the wedding this summer. Have a great first year.
Linda