Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Digital Storytelling

This past month, my class had the unique opportunity to have access to a laptop cart with 20 MacBook computers on it. For anyone who knows my love affair with technology, you know that without a doubt, I had to come up with a fabulous project to seize this chance.

So...I decided to take our typical study of biographies, and give it a twist. First, students were assigned one of the six pillars of character - trustworthiness, responsibility, respect, fairness, caring, or citizenship. Together with a partner they were to come up with a "definition" so to speak of that pillar of character. They were to decide what displaying that pillar looks like, sounds like, etc. We talked a lot about the difference between being a person who is famous and someone who is known for their leadership and character.

Next, students were to find a person that they felt was an outstanding example of that pillar of character. They had to show this through important events in the person's life, people who influenced them, and compassion they have shown for others.

Finally, students created a digital biography in iMovie. They took all of their information and created a storyboard and script, collected digital images, recorded sound and downloaded music.
For most of them, it was their first time working with multimedia and working with Macs.

I had such a blast working with my students on this project. I really have to admit, their final products were above and beyond my expectations! Here is a sampling of how they turned out:




I'm such a proud teacher!! Can you believe these are done by 10 year olds?

1 comment:

JAY!!! said...

You should post the rest of the videos...especially the Obama video. "Obama the Lego Man!" is possibly the best scene in any movie. I'll let the rest of your readers interpret that comment.

These videos were great though. You are a teacher extraordinaire.