Friday, February 20, 2009

5th Grade Humor?

Some days as a teacher, I'm concerned for the youth of America. I have felt this concern overwhelming the past few days in my classroom, and I really needed to share my feelings with someone. Thanks for listening.

Why, you ask?

Let me start by saying that I consider myself pretty tuned-in to what kids (or tweens) are into these days. Knowing what my students are interested in helps me relate to them, and it allows me to reach them as learners. Fifth graders can be pretty random, but I find myself fairly tolerant. The past couple of days however, I have questioned the sanity of all 10 and 11 year-olds.

They have been walking around our classroom obnoxiously singing and saying the oddest things. (I'd tell you what, but it'd spoil the surprise!)

Finally, I asked them, "Where in the world is this coming from?"

"YouTube!!!" They announced with glee, and later, one of them emailed me this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFCSXr6qnv4&feature=related

Just watch it, and you'll understand why I'm having a hard time putting this all into words.

Are fifth graders odd for thinking this is the coolest thing ever, or am I bananas?

3 comments:

Johnni said...

It's not just 5th graders... It's 25-yr-old husbands too. I remember being taunted by Matt and something about Charlie and the candy mountain (same characters though) when we lived in Huxley. I can't believe I had the attention span to watch the entire 6 minutes without Matt, because I'm sure it will be watched again shortly and I don't know if I can take it twice! :)

The Goob said...

Charlie himself said it best:

That doesn't even make sense. But I'll probably be singing the banana song for a while.

Matt said...

HA! That's awesome!! Here's the first video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus ...I haven't watched the 2nd one.