Monday, April 11, 2011

The Junk That is Everywhere

I don't consider myself a pack-rat or a hoarder, but for some reason stuff just seems to pile up in our house. Our unfinished area of the basement, which was clean just last year, is overflowing with a spare table, a giant "boob tube" HDTV (the first ever made I think--it weights 900 pounds), decorations from every holiday, and various exercise items. How does this happen? If there is an empty drawer in this house, Kelsey and I will fill it. Then we'll forget we filled it. Then we'll assume we had a reason to fill it, so we'll keep it filled.

Next Friday I don't work (what a Good Friday...har dee har har), so I'm hoping to tackle either the garage (because the shelves I installed last summer are now overflowing with unorganized everythings) or the unfinished basement. At some point, I want to go room by room and purge the drawers of things we don't need. For instance, do I need over 100 t-shirts when I'm pretty sure I wear a rotation of six or seven of them? Do I need to keep my old cell phone, of which I don't even have the charger, in my nightstand drawer?

This does lend the question though: What do we do with all our junk? We had a garage sale last year, but we don't really have any big ticket items that would bring in buyers. It's just a lot of stained, faded clothing. Do I dare bring tens of hundreds of bags to Goodwill and risk the forced volunteers working the unload dock glaring at me?

What do you all do when clutter overload is starting to take over the house?

No comments: