Friday, July 6, 2012

Final Days in Russia

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking.  The next 10 hours are about to be some of the least enjoyable hours you've ever spent over international waters. The Schmitz family would like to apologize in advance for the hell you are about to endure.  Please understand that if they could make it better, they certainly would."

You think that sounds appropriate?  I'm just going to go ahead and slip that to the captain as we step on the plane tomorrow.  Lord help us. 

Tomorrow marks the part of our journey that has terrified me from day one.  Being stuck on an airplane with 3 unhappy kids. Isn't that what nightmares are made of? 

But we'll get on that plane tomorrow anyway, the six of us. And we'll get off the plane, too.  In the end, it's just a day.  And at the end of the day, however good or bad it may be, I get to see a room full of people who love us and have been waiting impatiently to meet our family. 

And that moment? That moment will get me through it.

My dad's arrival in Russia was just the pick-me-up we needed for these final couple of days in Moscow.  I'm not sure we would have survived without him.  He came fully loaded with love, patience, understanding, and the ability to assist in jumping over pillow forts, and that's just what we need around these parts.  Thank you, Dad. 

Dad has been a huge part of a busy couple of days watching three souls come alive with a family that loves them.  Yah, we're working through some stuff.  Sleep, tantrums, setting boundaries.  It's pretty much chaos.  It feels like we've got a long ways until we'll be normal. But those smiles? The I love yous? (in Russian and English, might I add).  The kisses and affection just when they've pushed us the farthest?  Pure awesome.  I suppose every parent who is reading this right now knows exactly what I mean. 

So here we go.  The U.S. Embassy's approved us.  The paperwork is done.  The suitcases are packed.
Let's go home.  

6 comments:

barbara said...

The worst 24 hours of my life included bringing Katya home. Hunter was a breeze. Katya, a tornado. But I kept reminding myself, "it's just 24 hours it's just 24 hours". As you said, it's just a day. If you all have to sleep together on the floor of one room in your house for the next few months, at least it will be in your house. Lots of prayers coming your way!!

Ashley Schrage said...

Ahhhhh! It is THE day! I can't believe it's here. A google alert just popped up on my phone reminding me the Schmitz kids are coming home tomorrow. I soooo wish I could be at the airport! Having Lincoln in the car going to MN sounds like it would give me a tiny taste of your plane ride :)

traveltheworld said...

I love reading your blog. I am so happy for you guys and am thrilled you are finally bringing your little ones home. Hope the flight went well. I am sure you cant wait to get settled in your home. All the best!

Barb said...

This is so exciting! Your three babies finally get to come home with you! No more Russia countdowns!! Love ya! I wish you had a layover in Houston! Wr'd be there:)

Dr. G said...

Sending your family prayers and love as you return home with memories that will become even more precious with time. Reading about your journey has touched my heart. God bless you, Jay, and your blessed children.

Amy and Corey said...

OMG, I don't know when you leave to come home, but GOD BLESS YOU. I came home with one very hyper 2 yr old and cried more than he did. I still refer to that flight at Flight 666. This is the worst part! Just survive it. It will be funny in days to come, but in the moment it will be horrible! Remember it all so you can torment them with it when they are older...lol. Your blog rocks! Your family is wonderful! Safe travels.