Wednesday, July 4, 2012

When the lights go out in Moscow!

Before I update you on our day, I have to start by saying how incredibly blessed I feel for such wonderful friendships.  It was a long day.  The kids finally went to sleep at midnight, and I open up  my computer for a minute of peace and quiet and find blog post after blog post wishing us a happy family day.  I'm not sure you all understand how lucky we are to have you.  You're amazing, all of you.  This Mama needed that today, and I think the Papa did, too.   I'm trying not to cry so much though, and you're all not helping! : )

So hoooooly cow, we made it to Moscow.  One step closer, baby.  I am loving it bigtime that it's dark here!  Those white nights of St. Petersburg were not for me. 

Let me tell ya, 1 foreign train station + 3 children + 5 suitcases + 2 backpacks = a whole lotta scary.
Hey husband of mine, remember the days when we would just walk out the door with ourselves and that's it?  Oh yes, one week ago were those days.  Now it feels more like we are the ringmasters of a three ring circus. I thank God over and over and over for our wonderful adoption agency and the people that work for them. Without them, we would have not made it from point A to point B today. 

The kids did 1/2 great on the train and 1/2 awful.  The first 2 hours were parental bliss:
"The kids are doing so well, it's so nice to have a conversation, happy anniversary babe, this is great..."

BAM!  Meltdown city for Olivia - she would not be set on a seat, she would only be held by her mama, while I was standing and facing another baby in the car next to us.  At the same time,  Thing 1 and Thing 2...errr... Joel and Stella discovered the automatic door to open to the next car.  What a fun game!  Daddy chases screaming toddlers throughout the train.  Ohhh yes, there were tears, there were screams, there were meltdowns. I won't tell you which came from us and which came from the passengers nearby.  But we made it, that's what matters, folks.

We got all checked in our apartment here, and the US Embassy doctor came to make a checkup on the kids tonight.  They got the all clear to enter the US.  

My dad shows up tomorrow for reinforcements for the last couple of days and the trip home and I think I may shed a few more tears when I see him.  It will be so good to have him here.  I'm not sure who's more excited though, him or me. : )

It's been an emotional journey and these days will surely stand vividly in my memory.  We are experiencing so many firsts all at once and the five of us have begun an awesome new life together. I would have never expected to find my children halfway around the world, but when I look at their faces...their they are, my missing pieces. 

Paka from Moscow! 

8 comments:

MollieStrouse said...

What a great update. Thinking about you all of the time here is Iowa! We weren't sure what to do today on the 4th with no Schmitz party :) Back on the calendar for next year!

Happy Anniversary!

Barb said...

Wow! I can just picture Jay running after Horl and Stella! Love ya:)

Kari said...

Oh my goodness, I just got chills reading your post. God is so good for blessing you with your 3 miracles. Those children are so lucky to have you both as their mama & papa. :) I am thinking about you on your amazing journey. Lots of love sent your way!!! :) -Kari

Megan Witt said...

Kelsey, you have a real gift with your writing! Your posts make me feel like I'm there experiencing it all with you---I can barely get through a paragraph without tearing up. Take care of those little ones and many prayers for safe travels.

Ashley Schrage said...

I read Mollie's comment and it got me thinking of what next 4th of July will look like! This sure will be an amazing and unforgettable year for the Schmitzes.

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Love! Surely you will remember these days as if they were yesterday! Soak it all in, take a deep breath and put one step in front of the other! You can do it mama! Praying for your family! (And remind me to tell you sometime about "losing" Sisay on the airplane...oh vey what a trip! :)

blissmamaof3 said...

Hang in there, you're almost home! These are very memorable times, you and your husband will resell the stories many times and smile. Seeing your dad will bring tears, no doubt, but when you arrive home at the airport, that is an incredible moment. So very excited for you and all you are experiencing. The embassy is wonderful because everyone speaks American English And you will feel so comfortable. There will be American signs everywhere and it will be the closest thing to home yet. That was one of my favorite parts each time we adopted. Take lots of pictures when you can, obviously your hands are quite full, because this is a once is lifetime experience. Enjoy and if you get some sleep, so much the better. My husband and I did not sleep at all the night before we left Moscow with the boys to travel home. If that happens, don't sweat it. The excitement of traveling and finally heading home with your family will carry you through. Our boys slept, we were up for about 48 straight hours and we survived. Savor this for it will not come again!

Julie Rogers said...

Talking to April today---she told me to check out your blog. SO happy for the two of you (now five!)---and I can totally picture the train meltdown---welcome to parenthood! So excited for the two of you and looking forward to reading more!
-Julie