Monday, August 6, 2012

4

Dear Stella,

Four years ago and unbeknownst to me, a woman that I will never meet gave me one of the greatest gifts I have ever received.  She gave birth to you, my girl.

 
It's a little hard for me that I will never be able to tell you stories of that day, or the 1432 that followed for that matter.  And it also seems a little unfair that there were 1432 days that I wasn't there to love you.


But I will always tell you the story of how I saw your picture and I knew you were my daughter. How I would do anything and everything to get to you as fast as humanly possible.  How my heart broke into pieces and swelled with joy the moment I met you.  We will have so many stories of you. Including the story of today, your "first" birthday.


Since you've been home, I've had the honor of watching your soul come alive.  You sing, you dance, you act oh-so-dramatically about almost everything. You make us laugh, you test our patience.

 
And each day, you let love in.


I think for this occasion, Ben Folds might say it best.

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know

That I am
The luckiest

I love you Stella Grace. Happy Birthday, baby girl. 

6 comments:

KrisGSings said...

Lovely post. Wonderful photos. I think Stella and you are both lucky to have found each other. Happy, happy first American birthday, Stella.

Mike said...

Jeez! Knock it off. I can't read this stuff without crying like a baby!

Barb said...

Wow. Stella is so lucky!

Sara said...

Here come the waterworks! So beautiful and sweet...happy birthday Stella!

GABELA said...

LOVE reading your blog. I work with Dallas. He is so proud of these kids and I love hearing about all of them. HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO STELLA!

Amy Thacker said...

Wow, I am crying! I am so happy for you and Stella! I work with Dallas and I love, love, love reading your blog and hearing your stories. Amazing!