Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Funkville.

"Everybody looks so happy!"

I'm told this a lot. Like, a lot, a lot. 

Yep, we're happy.  Yep, the kids are doing great.  They are doing amazingly well considering they've spent less than two months with us. 

On the flipside, we have some pretty tough moments. Some really bad days. Fine, let's be real, we've even had some all-around crappy weeks. 
Why am I awake?
But our kids, especially Joel because of his age, are dealing with some big, raw, nasty feelings from their past. Things that little people shouldn't have experienced. Abandonment, loss, distrust, neglect, more loss. 

And Joel? He's been in a funk. Acting out. Not eating. Clinging. Crying. Regressing. Behaviors we expected, behaviors we "understand", but behaviors that are definitely hard to work through. 

We finally broke down a wall yesterday and he told me he felt scared.  Scared that we were going to leave him.  (Thank you Lord for Google Translate) Then crumpled in my lap and let me rock him to sleep. 

And you know what sucks? I can't fix it. Not right away. I can do nothing more than assure him we'll always be a family, that we're going to be together, and prove that to him day after day after day. Has he heard that before? Maybe. And that sucks, too.  I know we'll earn his trust.  But I want to fix his hurt. Now. 

This week has required extreme patience. I have pulled every tip and advice from my bag of tricks. I was beginning to feel pretty pissed at how my sucky bag of tricks was not the least bit helpful. 

I needed out of the house. Out of Funkville.

So we went to the park.

And there it was.  A glimmer of hope.  A peek of sunshine through the clouds that he and I both needed (and apparently Jay, too).

He met a boy.

And made a friend.

(The boy's face was not disfigured, I just didn't feel it appropriate to put some stranger's kid on our blog)
They ran and jumped and chased each other.  They shared his cape and looked at the cars on his buddy's t-shirt. And an hour later when it was time to leave, I asked him if he made a friend.  My boy smiled from ear to ear and puffed out his chest.

"Dah, friend!" 

And I cried. I sent Jay the picture and he cried, too. (Sorry for ousting you, Jay.)

We needed a win this week. All of us. And it came in the unexpected package of a boy at the park.

So we're gonna take this friend thing and run with it. Maybe set up a playdate or two with a neighbor.  I can't fix his hurt, but I can help him find some new happiness.

We're gonna be okay, buddy.  We're gonna be okay. 

5 comments:

KrisGSings said...

Thanks for sharing this, Kelsey. I'm glad Joel has you and Jay to walk with him through this and be there on the other side. Love you.

Heather said...

You don't know me (which will be obvious when you say "who's Heather")but I just "stumbled" on your blog a week ago and for what it's worth...you rock. Obviously coming from a stranger, that may mean nothing to you, but really...you rock. It is also obvious to this total stranger that you were meant to mother them and they were meant to be mothered by you. I nearly fell off my chair when I read past your first blog that you just recently adopted them. Your love for them and how they looked at you just seemed so timeless. The mutual love and respect you have for each other is absolutely going to get you over anything this bad old world has thrown at them/you or ever will. So hang in there, someone in Idaho is rooting for you...how creepy is that:)

Anonymous said...

It's really hard when you can't fix it. Our son had some really bad things in the past, and even today we still see him struggle to get over the fears that he has because of them.
I've also seen it become a lot easier for our son to actually talk about these things, and most of all, it's not daily,weekly or even Monthly anymore... It's just some things that are still really scary and bring back the old stuff.
But it's got a lot easier to handle as a parent as well.
We've found ways to actually help him get through the worst feelings.
And most of it is just to be there, be the warm loving parent, so that he knows that you are there for him and he can always trust that it's going to be that way.

For us it took time... But we got there, for the most part at least!

Anyway Joel's really lucky to have two really awesome parents, and so are the girls as well!

Unknown said...

If you ever want to have a play date with us--Camden is 4 and Katey is 6--we would be happy to come over! Oh, and Ryan is 31....Jay may need someone to play with too :)

blissmamaof3 said...

Been there, my oldest was 3 years 8 months when she came home. Praying for your family, I know it will get better, been there too. You're doing great!