Friday, October 16, 2009

Giggles

I don't like it when I hear hype about a movie. I build these expectations up in my head, and then when I see it, I find myself disappointed. How can I not LOOOVE a movie sooo much like I heard 15 other people say they loved it? What's wrong with me?

I also don't like it when someone takes one of my favorite books and turns it into a movie. What will they forget to include? How differently will the main character look on the screen than they did in my head.

So it had me worried. Where the Wild Things Are. It had a lot of hype, and it's just a darn good childrens' book as far as I'm concerned.

As I walked into the theater tonight, I saw a mix of viewers. Couples on dates, high school students, nostalgic groups of late twenty-somethings, and families with kids. Ahhh kids.

I sat in front of a little girl with one of the most contagious giggles. You know the kind I'm talking about. The giggle you hear that makes you smile from ear to ear. She would react to the movie in the most perfect and childlike way.

Have you seen the movie Finding Neverland? (**spoiler alert**) You know how at the end of the movie they fill the empty spots in the theater with the little orphan children who make the whole show more enjoyable for the adults? This movie experience was kind of like that for me. (On a much smaller scale of course)

If you go...and if you can...find a giggler and sit near them. Not a seat-kicker or a loud snack eater or the one that has to pee three times.

This movie is so full of innocence and imagination that you truly must view it through the eyes of a child.

Trust me on this one.

1 comment:

Ashley Schrage said...

First, a belated birthday wish for Jay! :)
And second, I'm so out of the entertainment loop, I didn't even know that was a movie. I'll be sure to put it on my Netflix list, because by the time I get around to seeing it in the theatre, it will probably be gone.
wanna get together sometime soon?