Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween - BOO!

Disclaimer: the following blog post amazingly proves my old-person-ness, my immaturity, and my dorkiness all in one post! Bonus!!

I've been looking forward to Halloween for weeks. Jay and I decided this year we weren't going to dress up. Not because I don't LOVE to come up with a costume and make it - because I absolutely do. But because we have a neighborhood full of hundreds of kids (literally) and I thought it would be just as fun to pass out candy and stay at home. Yes, I realize this makes me sound old, but I'm okay with that.

We carved our pumpkins in anticipation - and this became an all-afternoon event. I don't consider myself to have a lot of artistic abilities, so it took a lot of concentration.

Didn't Jay's Iowa State pumpkin turn out awesome? The one on the far left is supposed to be a dog with it's tongue out...but you can't really tell.

6:00 came and I awaited anxiously at my door complete with TONS of candy, glow in the dark "BOO" shirt, and witch hat headband. I'm SUCH a loser. : )

Rather than recap the complete disappointment that happened in the next 2 hours, I will be brief. We had about 30 trick-or-treaters. 30. I was prepared for like 300. I was so bummed.

I asked our nearby neighbors and they all had similar experiences - prepared for a ton of kids, got hardly any.

So trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood, I say BOO to you tonight. I go to all this trouble to buy you good candy (not just the cheapest I could find) and this is the thanks I get?

I know I'm supposed to the adult here, but too bad! BOO to you Halloween!

2 comments:

Johnni said...

love the dog paws -- could totally tell that's what you were going for. i hear you on the # of kids. we thought trick-or-treating was supposed to be huge on post too but only got like 6 kids. now we have tons of candy that we don't need! we weren't quite as prepared though -- you went all out :)

Ashley Schrage said...

That's nothin!
You know you're really old when you turn off all the lights and pretend you aren't home while watching good shows from the past week on your DVR :)