Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Confessions of a Breadaholic

Dear Blog World,

My name is Kelsey, and I love bread.  No seriously, I do, it's my favorite food.  I love any kind of bread.  Toasted, dipped in oil, on a sandwich, buns, bagels, baguettes...okay, you get the idea, and quite frankly, I'm making myself hungry.


That being said, it will shock you to know that I have been gluten-free for 3 weeks.  (Jay has too, can I hear a big "WOOT WOOT" to supportive husbands!?!?) I haven't told you, I know, please don't be offended.  I guess I felt a little crazy admitting it.  I was worried, being the bread lover that I am, that we wouldn't be able to stick with it.

Here's the deal: this isn't a diet thing.  This is just something we're trying. It's about the fact that there's a bunch of research out there about people who've cut gluten from their diets and had crazy good results like no more migraines, no stomach issues, increased energy, and unexplained infertility go away.  Hey wait, that was the one that caught my attention.  I figure we've been prescribed just about any other thing in the book, why not try this?

 
So...anyhoo, this has been a huge "learn as we go" experience and I want to claim right now that I still feel as though I know pretty much nothing about being gluten free (or gf for you acronym lovers).  I look a lot of things up online, I eat nothing of unknown contents, and I read a bunch of words I don't understand on labels.  Going out to eat can get very interesting.

But this weekend we took a trip to the big cities where they had a multitude of gf options.

Allison and Brent brought us to this swanky place (which we'll blog more about later) with a yummy gf menu on Saturday night.  
 

I ate pizza!  Oh my, I miss pizza the most.  (Godfathers actually has a gf pizza here in Cedar Falls, but it's just not the same!)


I had gf chocolate chip pancakes...with whipped cream on top.  (As if that was necessary)


And we went to Trader Joe's where everything gluten free was marked with a handy little symbol right near the price tag.  I've loved Trader Joe's for about 5 years now since my friend Anne, who I'm pretty sure doesn't read my blog, introduced it to me.  They recently opened one in Des Moines, which I'm pretty sure we'll be frequenting.  Jay drank the Trader Joe's koolaid as soon as he walked in the door, and I'm pretty sure we might see an all-organic Jay in our futures.  Hair sold separately.


So Mr. Hippie Jay made us his favorite meal tonight for dinner brought to us by Trader Joe's.  All organic, all gluten free, all delicious.


Spaghetti anyone?  Yes, Schmitzes are weird.  They eat their spaghetti with peas on top.

Well blog world, it's been real.  I always feel better when I am just 100% honest with you.  I know you wish us well in our gluten free journeys, and if you have any recipes whose ingredients don't include the words wheat, barley, rye, oats, malts, triticale, maltodextrine, dextrine, or dextrose - pass them my way!!

4 comments:

Amber said...

I was on a gluten-free diet for awhile in college and I found a really good sweet and sour recipe that I ate with chicken all of the time. I don't know where the recipe is off the top of my head, but I'll find it and get it to you. :) Good work sticking with it.

Johnni said...

too bad gluten free oats can be expensive. it's just the cross contamination from processing facilities that's the problem, right? not any of the protein in oat the grain, right? i know next to othing too but love the idea :)

Anonymous said...

Do you have any references to the research that's shown benefits from eating a gluten-free diet? I'm interested in learning more about the science behind it.

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Good for you! Let me know if you need any gluten free help. Our kids have been gluten free for 3 years and have had remarkable improvement in many areas. I was gf for quite a while but do have some now. Hope it goes well for you!