Monday, February 28, 2011

Habit 1: Be Proactive

I've had the opportunity to attend two amazing professional developments in the past year.  Last week,  I spent a whirlwind experience at a summit in Phoenix.  I am searching for the words to describe how much I learned and how excited I am to put my new knowledge into place.  The second was earlier this fall when our school was trained in the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (a Stephen Covey training). 

After both trainings, I  have come home and pretty much word vomited all over Jay about what I learned. I'm just like that, I can't contain myself.  He is such a trooper and listens intently (or acts like he does).  He even allows me to solve his problems by using my Covey methods, sometimes he's aware of it - sometimes he's not. When he doesn't know it we call that "Coveying his a**" - my specialty. : )

So tonight I thought I'd share Habit #1 with you. 

Habit 1: Be Proactive.

Your life doesn't just "happen." Whether you know it or not, it is carefully designed by you. The choices, after all, are yours. You choose happiness. You choose sadness. You choose decisiveness. You choose ambivalence. You choose success. You choose failure. You choose courage. You choose fear. Just remember that every moment, every situation, provides a new choice. And in doing so, it gives you a perfect opportunity to do things differently to produce more positive results.

Tonight, I am proactive.  I am carefully designing how to spend my time.  I choose to sit on my couch and cuddle with my puppy. I choose to leave the dishes in the sink and shamelessly watch the Bachelor.   And I will intermittently text Jay weird, funny, and flirty things while he's at his boring statistics class in an attempt to make him smile.   Isn't that proactively pursuing a life where I allow myself to relax a little, enjoy the small things, and make my husband happy?  Does that qualify? I think so. : )

No comments: