Friday, February 11, 2011

Happy Early Valentine's Day

I like Valentine's Day. I fully understand that it's a holiday created by Corporate America with the sole intent of increasing sales of expensive items during the slowest shopping month of the year, but I still like it. The message behind it is good: tell someone you love that you love them. Be extra nice to the person you love. Eat chocolate. Drink wine.

Consumerism aside, why do we need Valentine's Day to surprise our wives with flowers? Why do extra sappy Kay Jewelers commercials remind us to buy jewelry? If someone in your life is special, really really special, shouldn't you be telling them that every day? It doesn't always have to be with words. I had a bad day at work Wednesday and Kelsey brought home supper right away. She came through the door smiling and cheered me right up. She knew I needed that. That's why she is my valentine.

I'm by no means saying people should ignore extra special traditions on "special days" (lord knows I've gone overboard a time or two on Valentine's Day surprises).  I just don't think anyone should let the "special days" be the only days that are special.

1 comment:

Johnni said...

This doesn't have much to do with Valentine's Day. Unless of course you are celebrating your love of bread. Just remembered that I talked to a women who needs to eat gluten free. She & others she has talked to claim Udi's and/or Rudi's bread tastes like normal bread. I haven't looked, but hear it's at Hy-Vee in the health market. Just FYI before I forget.