Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Gramma's Shoup

Every time my grandma makes her vegetable soup, I get a phone call.  It's one of the many things I love about my Grandma.

"Kels, I'm making grammas shoup! I remember when you were little you'd say 'I loove grammas shoup!  I want some grammas shoup! If you were here, I'd bring you some! '"

It's true.  Gramma's Shoup is the best!

When I lived in the Quad Cities, my grandma's house was just 5 minutes away.  If I was home sick, Grandma would make her soup and leave it on my doorstep.  I kid you not, she's that cool. Soup or no soup, living close to my Grandma and Grandpa was my favorite part of living in the Quad Cities.  We'd go out to eat together, she was my Hobby Lobby buddy, she helped potty-train Dottie, and Grandma would come volunteer in my classroom.  Plus, there is just something amazing about getting a hug from your grandparents whenever you feel like it. 

I don't know why, but I love this picture.
Now that we live in Cedar Falls, I feel doubly blessed to be able to do the same thing with my parents.  We do dinners, meet each other at church, help with house projects, go shopping (although Mom HATES Hobby Lobby), let the dogs play together, and ya know what? It's pretty awesome to hug your parents when you feel like it, too.


Today's blizzardy weather meant I had a snow day, and so I spent most of the day at my parent's house. Mom and I thought it would be a perfect chance to try to make the famous "shoup".

Our soup making adventure happened in true Kelsey and Denise fashion. Mom did all of the work and made the soup.  And I was a careful observer while I painted my nails. Ha! (She likes it better that way in her kitchen)

I also worked very hard as the taste-tester
Later tonight, we were able to go back to mom's and enjoy what the hours of preparation had created.  And it was delicious!  Looks like the soup making ability has been passed on to mom.  I hope it makes its way to me.


While writing this post, it made me realize that there are a lot of qualities that I love in my Grandma and admire in my Mom that I hope I carry on.

They love their families, and they show it.
They know how to have a darn good time.
They're not afraid to act a little goofy.
They are both great cooks, bakers, and hostesses (uh-oh for me on that one!)
They both have homes people feel really welcome in.
They make the best shoup! 
I could go on and on. 
I'm so grateful for these two women in my life.

What things do you hope to carry on in your family?

1 comment:

LindaAlex said...

Kelsey, I love this! What a wonderful tribute to your relationships with the women in your life!