Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Gluten Free Disasters

Not all of the gluten free foods we've made have been successful. Take last Sunday. Kelsey had recently arrived back from vacation. We thought we'd celebrate by making some brownies. Ugh.

It was difficult to use the mixer because the brownie mix had solidified into what could have been cement.

Dude...Brownies. Spreading out the cement mix into this pan was my biggest accomplishment last week.
I'm not sure what this has to do with gluten, but the brownie mix somehow tried to attack my foot.
After I cleaned my foot, Kelsey and I watched TV for a half an hour. While we waited, the house filled with the delicious smell of brownies. We got excited. After the baking and obligatory post-baking cooldown were complete we each tried to eat one, um, brownie?

Silly gluten-free folks...brownies aren't for you.
On top of their lovely appearance, the brownies also tasted and had the texture of dirt. Real life, genuine dirt.

Kelsey's mom has had more luck with her gluten free experiments than I have. In fact, she made an excellent chocolate cake tonight for Kelsey's birthday. But every now and then the lack of gluten will just destroy a product. Buns for instance. It's hard to have good, fluffy, flavorful buns. I'll leave you with the crushing image below: bread, failing at being bread.

Look at the flat, unrisen bread at the top of the picture compared to the mega bun in the packaging.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For brownies, get the Betty Crocker mix and make it easy on yourself. They were super delicious - I made them for another friend on a GF diet and I think I ate more of them than she did!!