Monday, March 21, 2011

Who Wouldn't Want to be Me?

I woke up grumpy this morning.  You know the "ughh, do I have to go back to work?" feeling?  Yah, that one.  The grumpzilla stuck around until I hit my car, and good ole Keith Urban snapped me out of it.  I was going to choose to be in a good mood today.  I get to go to my job. I love my job. 

I could tell when the morning bell rang the bubbling line of third graders were anxious to share their spring break stories.  The third student in the door came carrying a stack of construction paper and tin foil wrapped packages. 

"It's your birthday tomorrow, Mrs. Schmitz!! But I brought your presents TODAY and you have to open them RIGHT NOW!!"
Those are bedazzled corners...do you see the scotch tape across the center?
This was one of those moments I needed to stop, take a deep breath and ask myself, "Is it really important for me to have complete order of 22 students right now? Or can I stop and open these handmade gifts a student has poured her little heart over?" 
Yes, I taught her that cursive
I really really really (100 times really) wanted to say, "Can we do this in a minute?"  But they were wrapped in tin foil.  Tin. Foil.  Who can resist? 
Um, hello sweet diary :)
Pretty close
 Her face lit up as I opened each package and she went into excruciating detail of how she made, personalized, and wrapped each item. 
It says "Schmitz" but she ran out of letters
 I wore the necklace all day.  It never untangled, and the scotch tape gave me a rash on my neck.  But I was told many times it was beautiful. 
A second card
And the "you have to open the best present last, Mrs. Schmitz!" That's a purse.  She sewed it herself.  I think the handles are made of ripped t-shirt.  So freaking cute. 
Watch out, Coach - here she comes
I am so glad I took 2 minutes to give a student an opportunity to make my day.  Would I remember that my class was in perfect order the day after spring break - absolutely not? But would I remember that little stack of handmade gifts. You bet I will. 

Maybe Mondays aren't so bad after all. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so nice...everybody would surely love to have it...Unique Gifts

Ashley Schrage said...

happy happy birthday! glad you got some fun surprises.