Thursday, January 13, 2011

$8 Update

Since our Thursday blogger appears to be thoroughly (that's a Thursday pun for you!) exhausted, I'm taking over with a quick blog update.  I apologize that the photo quality is even worse than usual, I left my camera at school, so I used my phone for all of tonight's pictures. 

He's coming down with a cold, he's been napping for an hour
I'm not sure if you do this or not, but I often look around my house and find itty-bitty details I'd like to change.  This $8 update is one of those things. 

This summer, we purchased a new entertainment center for the living room.  I did a lot of shopping around to find something that would accommodate our large tv, but not fill the entire living room.  After finding nothing locally, I went online and found this:
Buy me! Buy me! 
It was exactly what I wanted, it got good reviews, and had a great return policy.  So even though I was hesitant to buy furniture online, I thought I'd give it a try.  Turns out, it's been a great purchase.  But like many projects or purchases in my household, I felt the need to make a little DIY tweek.

The hardware.  It came with these cheapo looking white wooden knobs.  You hardly noticed they were there, and I wanted something that finished the piece off a little more. So I went to Hobby Lobby to check out their knob sale.  (That's a weird sentence).
Hobby Lobby's Knobbys
I ended up with these kind of vintage-looking cast iron knobs.  I thought they were really neat and would add that little pop that I was looking for.  Plus, at 50% off, they were only $2 a piece!! 
Jay: "That looks like a metal boob"

 Here's the before.
Taken this fall - Barely-there hardware
 Here's the after.
Please focus on the knobs, not the mess around it  

Call me crazy, but I think it makes a difference.  We have a lot of dark furniture in our living room and I feel like it pulls it together a little more.

Or not, maybe I'm just the crazy knob lady.