Friday, January 21, 2011

I'll Pray For You

I had a coworker stop in my classroom the other day while my students were in music class.  We were talking about the afternoon's upcoming math lesson when out of the blue she said:

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you."

"Oh my gosh... thank you! that's so nice of you," I replied.

"No, really, I mean it. I told my small group your story and we pray for you every week."

I knew she meant it. I could tell by the way she said it.

How cool is that?  We're on somebody's prayer list.


I'm definitely a believer in the power of prayer.  I think there is something really awesome about the idea of friends, families, and even strangers lifting a situation up to God and leaving the rest to Him.

It got me to thinking, though. I hope that every time someone says, "I'll keep you in my prayers" or "I'll say a prayer for you"... that they actually do.  

I've heard the phrase overused and thrown around to the point where it can almost seem cliche'.  Have you ever had someone who told you "I'll say a prayer for you" and it seemed like they said it because it's what they thought they should say?

I hope not.  I hope every time you say "I'll pray for you" you mean it.  Because prayer can be powerful. 

So powerful that the mere thought of it can bring a teacher to tears when her students are in music class. : )

2 comments:

Amber said...

There are 25 women in central Iowa praying for you guys too... ;)

Kelsey said...

There you go making me cry again! :) Thank you. That is too cool.