Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Exercise in Disguise

I put myself in charge of Tuesday posts because if I'm not eating healthy and I'm not doing some sort of exercise, I have nothing to blog about.  How's that for built-in accountability!?

Exercising on my own is not something I am good at.  The thought of treadmills, stationary bikes, and ellypticals make me outwardly groan. I own a treadmill and a stationary bike. I think I've used them each once.

This is the happiest anyone's ever captured me on a bike. Tipsy at my college graduation! :)
I'm a group fitness kind of girl.  I'm confident I feel this way from growing up and having a sport to play every season, which was great for me when I was a kid.  I loved being a part of a team, even if I sat on the bench every game.  I was there to have fun and work hard, and that's what I was told sports were all about.  And in college, there were intramural teams galore.  Yes, I was an ultimate frisbee and an innertube water basketball champion (twice).  You read that right, Innertube Water Basketball.  That's not a sport for the faint of heart.

The Suite One Sliders - Not Intramural Champs, but we had some good lookin' hats! 
But once I broke into the real world and on my own, I realized I had no one to be accountable for but myself.  Slowly I became more and more comfortable with the feeling of letting myself down and being sedentary.

Now that I'm officially bootylicious, and not in the way Beyonce can work it, I'm trying to do something about it. Because the truth is, I'm an endorphin junkie.  Not for the kind of endorphins you get when you go screaming down a rollercoaster, but I crave the feeling of "I can't shake the giggles for no reason" after I've had a good workout.  You get that, right?

Look how happy I am!  "I just went swimming! Weeee!!!" (Yes, that's Cedar Valley's finest photographer Ashley Schrage on the left.  She didn't take the picture, hers are much better than this.)
I've been on the hunt for some non group-fitness exercising that I enjoy.  Preferably exercise in disguise.  That's the best kind.  You know? I'm-having-fun-and-don't-realize-I'm-working-my-butt-off activities?

Well one of those activities walked into my door a couple of months ago. Jay impulsively bought an XBox Kinect, and I've had so much fun with it I made him move the XBox upstairs!! (We keep video games in the man cave where they belong.) You control everything with your body, so if you don't move, you don't win at whatever game you play.  God bless your impulse buys, Jay. You tricked me off of the couch!  

Here I am demonstrating my favorite game:



Okay, that's not me, but I'm just as good. Okay, not really.  But I have a darn good time trying!

What exercises are you having fun with these days? I could really use some good ideas!!! 

PS - Please don't peek into my windows at night unless you'd like to see some frightful dancing. Actually, just don't peek in my windows ever.  Thanks.

3 comments:

Ashley Schrage said...

Oh my goodness! When was that picture taken? We look like babies :)

I absolutely LOVE my YMCA classes and activities. It took me almost 10 months to REALLY get into it. But now I love it, and I'm one of those people who hadn't worked out since high school.

Kari said...

Kelsey, I am going to run another half marathon this year--possibly two, if I can. One is on April 10 in St. Louis & the other one is May 5 (I think) in the QC. There is a huge group of people training for the QC one on FB! A bunch of people I don't even know are on there, too. It is nice to be in the "group" on FB, so it keeps me motivated when I hear people share what they did & how they are doing. Some are first time runners & some aren't even running the half--just training to get in better shape. Anyways, If you are interested in either race OR want to join the little motivational FB group, let me know.

I love your new blog, by the way. You guys are adorable. :) Kari

Johnni said...

Ha, anyone else with a secret desire to be able to actually dance well? I think I should practice with you... :) Maybe we could get to be as good as Kate (wishful thinking). Anyways, I've done better since I stopped "working out." A few rounds of pull-ups / lunges / stretching here or there, or chasing after Joella or running around the yard really fast with Kaeda. "Playing" which comes naturally. I keep in mind the ideas behind www.crossfit.com that incorporates functional strength (also gives an online community if you kept up with it). Also, Dr. Mercola talks about "Peak 8" cardio intervals to get more bang for your buck, spend less time doing cardio, etc. search this link for more info(http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/). Really, you could do 8 rounds of your dance moves and be good to go. You'd even have time to do something else fun in between :) Well, gonna go play!