Friday, January 28, 2011

I Throw My Hands Up In The Air Sometimes....

We had our first assembly of the school year today.  The cafeteria was crammed with over 500 kids buzzing about this and that. While our guidance counselor made some announcements, someone blared the speaker system with the song "Dynamite" and a group of about 10 older students came dancing into the room. 

This often happens at the assemblies, the 4th, 5th, and 6th graders perform a skit about the topic we're about to address. Today I couldn't help but notice among the dancers, one a little smaller than the rest. After a few minutes I recognized the tiny dancer as Benny.

Meet Benny

I have, he's a great kid. He goes to my school. Full of energy, cute as can be, everything a kindergartner should be.  But you know what kindergartners shouldn't be? Sick with Leukemia. 

Don't get me wrong.  No one should be sick with leukemia.  But kids? Especially not kids. 

In the next few minutes I learn our school will be participating in our own Dance Marathon to raise money for Benny and his other little buddies at the University of Iowa hospitals.  Our kids will purchase paper hearts for a dollar and fill our hallways with their love.  Then for a day, we'll dance nonstop to celebrate our fundraising.

The music blares again and all of the students are now "warming up" for our Dance Marathon Day by practicing their dance moves.  I know they don't fully understand why we're doing this.  But they're dancing happily anyway, and Benny's up front bouncing around like the rest of the kids.  Just like he should be.  Not in a hospital bed.  Not having chemotherapy.  Just being a carefree kid.

I was stuck on that thought and my eyes were welling up with tears when one of my students shouted, "Mrs. Schmitz! You're not dancing!"

So I bust a move like the best of them. 

 

No comments: