Thursday, January 27, 2011

Getting Crafty

Confession. I'm in need of something to blog about tonight. I haven't done any projects this week other than some major "rid my house of all things winter,"and that's not really blog worthy.  (Yet apparently confessing to you the inards of our pantry was?)

The problem is "house projects" aren't top on my list of priorities right now.  I'd love to do them, I really would.  But I am running into the battle of What Should I Do? vs. What Could I Do?

The lines are clearly drawn.  Here are the contenders:

What Should I Do?: I've got a lot of papers to grade this weekend, and I need to get started on my report cards.  Conferences are looming.  And soon.

But when real work needs to be done, I tend to get very distracted by more enjoyable things that I'd like to do instead. 

What Could I Do? :  I could awaken my inner Martha and make these!
Directions can be found at the REAL Martha's website
I love these!! (2 exclamations for emphasis!!) They're made out of a 4-inch felt circle with a wire hot-glued inside the center of them. That's it! Then you bend them into fortune cookies and insert sweet messages inside. Unlike many Martha crafts, they look super easy to do.  I don't think I could find a way to screw these up.

How cute are they!?!?  I'd love to fill them with sweet words and happy thoughts and put them in a jar on my kitchen table. 
Substitute the felt for fun fabric!
 And then when I'm done making them for myself to enjoy, I want to make 22 of these and call them "kindness cookies" and give them to my 22 kookies at school.  And then they could write happy thoughts and kind words to each other all month long.

I really think they'd love them, too. Imagine a class full of kids taking time everyday for a month to make someone smile. Wouldn't that be so sweet?   Awww! (for you, Johnni)

Here's a sewing version if you want to get REALLY wild!
I'm sure there parents would love them come conference time as well.

"No, I didn't complete your child's report card... but we made kindness cookies!!!"

Hmm...what should I do?

2 comments:

Manfulls said...

You should definitely make this, conference reports can wait! They look super cute!

Johnni said...

awww for sure. love the idea